By Patricia Leiser
On May 28th, 2015 Chris Compton, CEO of HVACRedu.net, and Ed Hegwood of Rocky Mountain Education Center (RMEC) presented the new Facilities Engineering Technician program in Washington, DC at the Department of Energy Better Buildings Summit. All the government agencies were in attendance and the program was a big hit!
For the past 2 ½ years RMEC has been working with HVACRedu.net to design and implement an FET (Facilities Engineering Technician) program that meets the needs specified by the DOE Building Operations Professional. This program has been packaged to be used worldwide by community colleges and employers for the entry level and existing workforces.
There are two components: an online classroom and a hands-on competency section. Both are equally rigorous and combine to fulfill all aspects of a competency based workforce education model. Each of the two components is priced separately to allow the client to customize their program. There is nothing else like it.
- The Online campus is both richly academic and accessible 24/7 asynchronously. Students enroll for one year at a time (the equivalent of 160 online instructional hours) and have access to Student Services, Technical Support, and Online Faculty to guide and respond to their individual online learning needs. Students move through the online FET program one learning module at a time with an exam at the end of each module. The program is flexible, employer directed and can be site specific.
- The facility client chooses whether to have students perform the demonstration of competency at their facility or at the Red Rocks Community College (RRCC) HVAC Lab in Lakewood, Colorado. If they choose their own facility, senior facilities personnel must be vetted in the competency verification process by RRCC staff, or RRCC staff can conduct the session(s). The facility client also chooses if they want multiple competency sessions throughout the program or a single event at the end of the program. The ratio is approximately 10 – 12 hours of online course work coupled with 1 hour of hands-on lab instruction.
The FET Program is structured for 4 – 6 years of ongoing on-the-job and online education and training. Students learn and work at the same time. Employers cultivate a highly skilled workforce.
- The first year includes 106 hours of Common Core and 54 hours selected from a specific track:
- Common Core: Trade Math, Basic Hand & Power Tools, Work Habits, Customer Service Skills, Safety, Building Science Intro, and Intro to Blueprints.
- Tracks: HVAC, Water Heating, Boilers, Plumbing, Electrical, or Building Automation.
- The second year includes 160 hours of online instruction continuing in the selected track and recommended studies by the FET employer to cover specific areas that are of importance to the particular facility served.
- The third year includes 160 hours that complete the specific track selected, and additional course work identified by the employer.
- The fourth through sixth years are customized to meet the specific needs of the FET employer, up to 160 hours of online instruction.
Chris and Ed have been working long and hard to bring this program to you and they would love to visit with your Facilities Director to explore how this program can be customized to exceed your educational expectations.
CLICK This Link to view the FET Program – RMEC Facilities Engineer Technician (FET) Program Powered by HVARedu.net
CLICK this link for a copy of the DOE Building Operations Professional: https://www4.eere.energy.gov/workforce/sites/default/files/DOE_BB_Fact_Sheet_NIBS_Workforce_v9.pdf
HVACRedu.net, founded in 2000, provides consulting and online access to complete, comprehensive, and growing online educational programs, recognized by the leading experts in the Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, Building Performance industries and utility companies as the primary online education resource. Asynchronous courses are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for the convenience of adult learners. Skilled industry professionals maintain contact with each enrolled student. Quality education, student success, and exceptional customer service are the primary objectives.
Red Rocks Community College:
- Established in 1969, Red Rocks Community College delivers high-quality, affordable education programs leading to two-year degrees or professional certificates.
- The college serves over 15,000 students per year online and at campus locations in Lakewood and Arvada.
RMEC/OSHA Training Institute: Ed.Hegwood@rrcc.edu
- Rocky Mountain Education Center is an OSHA authorized Education Center serving Region VIII since 1992.
- RMEC is a leader in many areas of technical education and certification training with courses offered in health and safety, water and storm water management, electrical code, renewable energy, energy efficiency and the Ready to Work Academy. Over 95,000 students trained.
- RMEC provides on-site/Customized Training worldwide that includes locations in Jordan and Saudi Arabia. CLICK HERE: Energy Efficiency Work Force Development
If you would like more information about this press release, please call Patricia Leiser at 888-655-4822 x1123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org